Ranchi is capital city of state Jharkhand, in India. State of Jharkhand came into existence in 2000, after being carved out of Bihar. When Ranchi was part of Bihar, it was also called as “Summer capital” of Bihar. In British days, Ranchi was indeed “Summer capital” of Bihar. During those times, the most of area was covered with forest. Because of that Ranchi was also known as a hill-station. After 2000, when it was declared capital of Jharkhand state, population has risen astronomically. A lot of government offices are constructed after being declared capital of Jharkhand.
In 2011, ASSCHOM (Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India), published a report in which it was stated that Ranchi is top city among tier III cities in job creation. They did publish the report for period, Jan 2011 to March 2011.In Ranchi, the top five sectors which have created maximum job prospects include energy, construction, metals, electronics and telecom.Other cities followed by Ranchi in tier III are Mangalore,Mysore, Raipur, Udaipur, Aurangabad, Patiala,Jalandhar, Meerut, Vishakhapatnam.
Ranchi, Jharkhand is an industrial city. Heavy Engineering Corporation (HEC) has its own township in city area. Also MECON and SAIL have their own township in city. CMPDI (Central Mine Planning and Design Institute) the design wing of Maha-ratna Company COAL INDIA LTD is located in Kanke road, Ranchi. There many private sector companies in Ranchi like Usha Martin.
HEC Colony and Plant
View Larger Map
View Larger Map
Ranchi Transport : How to reach Ranchi.
- Train : Ranchi is well connected via train, bus and air routes. Ranchi comes under South Eastern Railways division and is most profitable station of the division.Railways connects it to some of major cities of India, like, Patna, New Delhi, Bilaspur,Chennai,Kolkata, Mumbai, Bhubaneswar, Bangalore, Vishakhapatnam, Vijaywada, Hyderabad, Amritsar, Nagpur, Gorakhpur, Raipur etc.Indian railways have 3 railway stations in Ranchi namely Ranchi Junction, Hatia station, Namkum station.
- Roadways: National Highway 33 (NH 33) and NH 23 pass through Ranchi. Government as well as private sector run buses to (and from) major cities and towns of Jharkhand. lso, buses run from neighboring states cities like Patna, Gaya and Kolkata.All NH and major state roads are be being widened to 4 lanes. Inside city, mini buses,auto,rickshaw moves passenger from one point to the other. A Ring Road is under construction around the city to reduce the growing traffic
- Air : Ranchi has airport Birsa Munda Airport. It has direct flights from (and to), Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Patna. The airport is under renovation and after renovation it will get International Airport status.
Albert Ekka Chowk (Previously Known as Firayalala Chowk) – Landmark of Ranchi. (Picture was taken sometime before 2000)
Ranchi, Jharkhand : Statistics
- Co-ordinates 23.35°N 85.33°E
- Area 175.12 square kilometers
- Elevation 629 meters above see level (Average)
- River Subarnarekha
- Climate Humid subtropical climate (Pleasant Climate)
- Temperature 42 to 20 °C during summer, and from 25 to 0 °C during winter
- Rainfall Annual rainfall is about 1430 mm (56.34 inches)
- Population 11,26,741 (2011 census)
- Literacy 77.13% (2011 census)
- Best Season September to May
- Attractions Ranchi Hill, Tagore Hill (Moradabad Hill) 4 kms, Kanke Dam 4 kms, Ranchi Lake, Tribal Research Institute & Museum, Heavy Engineering 11 km, Hatia Dam 12 kms, Jagannath Temple 10 kms, Mental Hospital 9 kms,Birsa Jaivik Udyan (Zoo).
- Excursions Hundru Falls (320 ft.) 45 kms, Johna Falls (140 ft.) 40 kms, Dassamghagh Falls (144 ft.) 34 kms, Hirni Falls 75 kms, Netarhat 156 kms.